Water suction and force pump

Early water supply for personal use either relied upon rainwater storage or access to subterranean water, via wells. The hospital needed greater amounts than normal, for washing, patient baths and cleaning, and consequently used a well. To speed up the process, a suction and force pump was installed to lift the water and this example is believed to date from about 1836 and used at the town’s first hospital at 40 James St (now demolished). It is made in brass, with an iron handle and a lead dispersal pipe connection. The pump was later used at the Savings Bank (26-28 Bank St). It was later purchased by the Cook family. A small plaque is attached to the handle noting, in a scratched etching, “Port Fairy Nurses Home”.