Chair from the SS Casino.

This timber chair had been removed from the ship for re-upholstery (part of the vessel’s refurbishment for it’s 50th anniversary), when the vessel foundered and sank at Apollo Bay in July, 1932. It was part of the original saloon furnishings of the vessel, and originally fixed to the floor and mounted on an iron base, but able to swivel (as a means of securing furniture when voyaging in rough seas). Probably because of fashion (to match more recent vessels’ furnishings, as the ss Casino was then 50 years old) and the convenience of passengers (swivel chairs are located assuming an “average” girth), the owners (Belfast & Koroit Steam Navigation Company Limited) fitted legs to the chair, upholstered over a timber base in red velvet. This chair was later presented to Captain Thomas Boyd, the first Master of the vessel in the Company’s livery and donated by his daughter, Mrs Melhuish to the Port Fairy Historical Society in 1976.