Brass Bugle presented to the Belfast Volunteer Rifle Corps by the Ladies of Belfast in December 1860.

This bugle was presented to the Belfast (the original name for the town now known as Port Fairy) Volunteer Rifle Corps by the ladies of Belfast in December 1860. The newspaper of the time noted some 80 volunteers on parade, but the woodcut (published in the Illustrated London News) depicts about 25, together with townsfolk assembled to watch. The presentation took place in “Avery’s Paddock” (now Southcombe Park) and the event was photographed by Joseph Warrin Wilder and then converted as a woodcut for publication. The event depicts Mrs William Rutledge presenting the bugle to the Corps, assisted by Mrs William Hawkins. The evident use the bugle has received has led to the loss of the silver electro-plating. The bugle was used to provide audible signals for the troops in battle and also as a command signal for duty and timing, and an important item of the 19th century military process.